Friday, January 6, 2012

The Awkwardness of Getting Healthy

Caution: This post may be too open and honest for some. Read on if you dare (heh, now ALL of you will keep reading just to see what I have to say).

This is intended to be a quick update in my little world of getting healthy, but it will also serve to expose you to the awkwardness that ensues. Enjoy.
First things first: I'm not sure what to do with all my extra time. I'm coming to realize that I spent alot of my precious time thinking, planning, and EATING food. This is just sad. Bleh.
Secondly, exercising is not what it used to be. I've entered into the world of shin splints and sweat. Don't get me wrong, I feel incredible after I've worked out; I think it's just going to take awhile to start loving it.
Example: I used to play basketball and I wasn't half bad at it. I really loved it. Because of this, I like to shoot random things into imaginary baskets. I know I can't be the only one who does this. Sometimes I miss said basket. Like last night, when I sailed my beloved swimming goggles through the air. Unbeknownst to me, I missed. I've moved recently. Result: I can't find anything! Including my one piece swimsuit. My thoughts: well, it won't be that uncomfortable to swim in my super cute tankini, who knows maybe a boy will see me. Stupid. Oh, I'm sure a boy saw me alright! Sorry, slightly inappropriate. Swimming laps creates currents and force which pushes down. Bad idea. I'm sure I looked more than ridiculous swimming my laps with my eyes squeezed shut and one had trying to keep my drawers from falling to my knees. It was bad. But now, typing it out, it is hilarious. I've learned my lesson and it won't keep me from getting in the pool.
Third awkward truth: I've been drinking so. much. water that I've gone to the bathroom no less than 900x a day. Ok. Not really. But it feels like it. This can be especially awkward at work. "Jenny!, are you taking another break?!" "Oh yea, sorry....when you gotta go you gotta go...." Ok that conversation didn't really happen, but it did in my head.

Anywho, I can't help but notice that all of my awkward insecurities are settled around what others are thinking of me. This helps me see the sin in my heart and mind. This helps me remember that the only opinion that matters is God's.
Isaiah 43:1: “But now, this is what the LORD says—He who created you, O Jacob, he who has formed you, O Israel: ‘Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine.’ This is the truth that I need to think of in these awkward, sometimes funny, sometimes desperate moments. God has redeemed me, called me out, and I am His. That's really all that matters.

1 comment:

Alicia Kiesling said...

Remember in college when we decided to drink our weight in ounces of water? I'm pretty sure it lasted 3 days because we had to go to the bathroom so much!