Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Exasperated Sigh

Happy Wednesday friends. You may be asking, why so frustrated? I would answer that I'm not sure. It's just one of those days. Impatience rules in Jenny's world at the moment resulting in exasperations all over th place. Why the impatience? Many reasons. Being human is the primary reason. Yes, I'm frustrated with my human tendancies of inadequacy, laziness, and mediocrity. What am I doing about it? Honestly, not much. I like to rest in the fact that Jesus has done everything for me, but I hardly take the time to put to death the earthly flesh. I read this yesterday from Russell Moore's blog: "This is the reason why self-control is a fruit of the Spirit rather than an achievement of the flesh (Gal. 5:23). We want what we want. But the discipline of God teaches us, slowly, to put old appetites to death and to whet new ones. Through the Spirit, we learn to crucify “the flesh with its passions and desires” (Gal. 5:24)." So, the Spirit is our teacher. I'm behaving like a 4th grade student who doesn't want to pay attention in class. Cue the exasperated sigh.
So, impatience along with selfishness does not bode well for The Initiative. Evidently in the confusion of my scale, I have gained back 3 lbs. Boo. hiss. I know this comes back to food because I've been working out pretty consistently. Sometimes, I like to tell myself that if I had a family to take care of, I wouldn't be so selfish with my meal planning. There might be some truth to this, but I bet my married friends are laughing at the hilariouty of this right about NOW. The other side of this is that, well, I don't have a family to take care of so tough cookies. Deal with the selfishness. I'm always so hard on myself and God is so gentle with me. His grace overwhelms me. I hope that it overwhelms me even more so that I can respond in loving obedience to Him. [insert sigh.]

1 comment:

Kimi said...

Jenny- first of all, its so true, self-control is a daily discipline rather then just happening at once. grrrr, its so hard.

secondly, i literally laughed out loud when you said maybe if i was married i would be better at meal planning and i bet all my married friends are laughing. so true. i did. but i love you.